My Fall Module/// Simplicity 9114

This week I’m going to be wrapping up my fall module and showing you everything I made! The idea behind this came from Whitney over at TomKatStitchery who sews in modules all the time. The idea is to make 3 tops, 2 bottoms, and 1 topper and they all work together as well as work with what’s already in your closet!

When I switched out my summer clothes for cold weather clothes recently, I saw quite a few gaps in my wardrobe. I thought a fall module would be an easy way to add in some great basic separates that I can layer up in the coming months.

I shared my first piece, the Brumby skirt, over in this blog post. Today I have my second bottom, these brown trousers. I am desperately in need for more heavy weight pants that aren’t jeans and I’ve been wanting to sew this Simplicity 9114 Mimi G pattern ever since it came out. I’m actually showing it with the cami I made from this pattern earlier this year.

I sewed up the size 14 in this grid texture cotton/nylon coating in chocolate from Stylemaker Fabrics. Now, I knew going into this pattern that getting a perfect fit on a pair of pants the first go around is not likely to happen. So I’m calling this first version a wearable muslin.

I think I could size down as I had to take in the waistband a bit, which means the finish on my waistband isn’t perfect. I also don’t love this fabric for these pants as it is a little stiff. I would love to try this out in a wool or tencel twill.

Otherwise the shape of these pants is exactly what I wanted! I love the pleating details and the straight leg. The length was pretty perfect on me and I’ve already worn them with some slouchy sweaters.

I look forward to perfecting this pattern in the future, but in the meantime I’m really happy with how these turned out and am loving having this rich brown color in my wardrobe.

Sewing Redos

Ok, I know my last post was all about embracing imperfections, but sometimes you learn and grow and want to fix mistakes, and that’s what this post is about! Back in May when I was cleaning out my closet while reading The Conscious Closet I came across a few things that I didn’t like or wear as they were, but knew that I could tweak them and make them into something I loved. The most sustainable option is to use what you already have so I thought making the time to rework a couple of pieces would be well worth my effort.

First up is this Inari Tee. I sewed this up about four years ago (look at baby Charlie!) in an athletic type fabric. I loved how cool it was to wear but as the years went on I found it a bit too short and a little too tight around the hips. I intended it to be an everyday type dress (I loved wearing it with sneakers) but it didn’t work for getting on the floor with kids. So I decided to just chop it off and turn it into a t-shirt. This pattern can be a shirt or a dress, so this didn’t take much thought. I did keep the split hem detail and made sure it hit right at my natural waist. Now this is a well made, functional t-shirt that I know I will get a lot of wear out of!

My other redo is this skirt. I originally hacked a Jessica Dressthinking I could wear it when I was pregnant, but it ended up not fitting. I did wear it some last summer (Look at baby Sam!) but I didn’t like how the shirring I added flattened my already small chest. I love this fabric so much (it was from IndieSew back when they were in business) and wanted to keep wearing it. So I chopped off the bodice and added an elastic waist band. Now it’s an easy, breezy summer skirt and I’ve already worn it a lot.

Sometimes thinking about working on these types of projects isn’t very exciting and it can be hard for me to find motivation, but I always love how they turn out. A reminder that taking the time to figure out what you wear and why is always worth it in the long run!

Don’t forget that you have until Tuesday July 7th to join us in The Make That Look challenge! Check out this post for details. Have a safe weekend!

%d bloggers like this: